Losing

I think we all lose a little. Or maybe you feel like you've lost a lot, but no one has been there to remind you people all over the world are without food, water, homes.

My family is not your typical family. And if you've met any or all of us, you'll know this. Our family dynamic is incredibly far from the norm; I mean, I'll disclose information that my mom will probably murder me for, but my parents had me at age 43. My oldest sister was 15. It's not our ages that make us unique. Sure, for some people, that's part of it. But it's each individual member who makes our family so... (I don't mean to brag) boss.

Leah's the oldest. Like I said, she was 15 when I was born. I've always really had a generous amount of respect for Leah. Not only because she tolerated the fact that I came into her life in the middle of her teenage years, but she quite simply has a giant heart. I'm not really sure how she does it. The woman studied abroad, lived off four cents for weeks at a time, married a man who we all adore, has procreated with this incredible man and is raising two of the most beautiful children I have ever laid my eyes on, works a full time job, is the most stellar writer I know, and still finds time to make homemade deodorant. Deodorant. The woman is a superhero, and she would never admit that because like our mother, she's as humble as Mother Teresa. Leah, I'm an old soul because of you. I will never regard that as a curse. I am forever indebted to you. 

Ben is a character. He's been through a lot in his 33 years, but the kid is the smartest, most practical human being I'll ever know. He, too, has brought a woman into our family who is one of us.  Ben is brilliant. He's compassionate as hell, and like Leah (scratch that-- like my entire family), is immensely warmhearted. He began my love for scary movies by watching "Scream" with me in the big, ugly green recliner in our living room. This was circa 1998... I was 3. The monster of devotion was born then. He'll tell you Facebook is filth, meat substitutes can taste just as good as the actual thing, and that Nick Saban is the devil. He's stellar, nonetheless. Ben, you make my heart so happy. Thank you for being you. 

I should start by saying Molly and I never got along when we were younger. She would throw on one of those heinous Scream masks and wear it around the house just because she knew it scared the living hell out of me. I think we probably even hit each other a few times (by probably I mean we did), and regardless of our ~*LoViNg*~ relationship as children, we're closer than ever now. Molly's tenacious, hardworking, independent, and sarcastic as all get out (that's just in our genetic composition, I think). Anyway, Molly and I certainly had a rough go sharing a room until she was err- 10 or so. Disregard the hitting, yelling, and crying, I owe Molly a lot for who I am today. I spent most of my childhood with Molly, and I wouldn't have had it any other way. Molls, you are my nearest and dearest friend. You have helped me become who I am, and I am forever grateful for that. Swerve.

Andy. I will start by saying Andy is quiet, which isn't a common trait in the Gehlsen family. I respect him a disgusting amount for that. The sweetest, most courteous, benevolent person on this planet. Seriously. You would also know this if you knew Andy. He would never make another feel inferior, unwanted, or irrelevant. He's a listener, an amazing writer, and has talent up to his ears. Andy teaches everyone something when they meet him. People finally see what a gracious, warmhearted person is when they meet Andy. That's something no one can duplicate. Andy, you are one of a kind. I couldn't be more thankful to have a brother like you. You'll never fail to amaze me.

I think my title to this post is probably a little irrelevant by now. Sure, life happens. People lose everyday. Their keys, earrings, minds.

But I will never lose with a family like mine.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

5 Years Later: A Practical Guide to Holding Multiple Truths

Drink: The Intersectionality of Beauty, Booze, & Corporate America

Beautiful